Eighteen Bridges and Swerve each took home three gold awards at the 2013 Alberta Magazine Awards in Calgary last night. Alberta Oil swept the gold awards in Illustration and Photography. Alberta Views, Avenue, Western Living, Uppercase, Galleries West and Profiles West were also Gold-winning magazines.
The award for Best Cover went to Avenue (Calgary) magazine’s annual food issue, “Their Last Supper,” featuring 12 of the city’s top chefs (and one critic) in an apostolic scene:
Alberta Venture editor Mike Ganley was recognized as Editor of the Year, and Elaine Kupser of Impact won the Achievement Award for Publishing.
Melissa Molloy won the Amber Webb-Bowerman Memorial Foundation Award for Emerging Writer, for her work in Profiles West.
Other gold award winners at the 2013 Alberta Magazine Awards:
- Best Alberta Story: Jeremy Klaszus, “Deerfoot’s Revenge,” Swerve
- Essay: Karen Connelly, “Washing the Body,” Alberta Views
- Profile: Curtis Gillespie, “The Populist,” Eighteen Bridges
- Feature Writing: Stacey McLachlan, “The Bounty Hunter,” Western Living
- Service Article: Kim Gray, “Let it Snow,” Swerve
- Fiction: Caroline Adderson, “I Feel Lousy,” Eighteen Bridges
- Poetry: Karen Solie, “Rothko via Muncie, Indiana,” Eighteen Bridges
- Art Direction: Issue #13, Uppercase
- Illustration: Dushan Milic, “End of Days,” Alberta Oil
- Photograph: Curtis Comeau, “Calling Nisku,” Alberta Oil
- Feature Design: Vishu Mahajan, “Double Take,” Swerve
- Digital Presence: Galleries West