We’ve missed you, join us!
The National Media Awards Foundation is thrilled to announce that we will be hosting a long-overdue, in-person event in Toronto on September 29, 2022. Join us at the Globe and Mail Centre for a day of professional development and an evening of reconnecting and socializing with friends and peers.
And the Winners Are…
The National Media Awards Foundation showcased the most impactful work published in Canadian periodicals in 2021 at the 2022 National Magazine Awards Winners Celebration hosted by Kelly Boutsalis and live-streamed on our website. Gold winners in creator-focused categories receive a $1000 cash prize, in addition to their award.
If you are a Gold winner, please contact us with your mailing address and SIN in order to receive your cash prize and certificate. Certificates for Silver winners and Honourable Mention are available upon request.
Winners and finalists can also celebrate their achievement by downloading Gold, Silver or Finalist’s seals here.
- The Walrus is the top winner overall this year, taking home an impressive five awards in total — four Gold and one Silver.
- Maclean’s has received four Gold awards, including for Best Magazine: News, Business, General Interest.
- Air Canada enRoute is the winner of Best Magazine: Service & Lifestyle.
- For the second year in a row, Broadview has been named Best Magazine: Special Interest.
- Magazine Grand Prix, our most coveted editorial award, goes to Inuit Art Quarterly.
- Maisonneuve is a two-time Gold winner, in Best Emerging Writer for Stephanie Bai’s “Seeking Sanctuary” and Personal Journalism for Emma Gilchrist’s “Genetic Mapping.”
- Toronto Life and L’actualité both take home an impressive three awards — one Gold and two Silver each.
- Nicholas Hune-Brown of The Local is this year’s Editor Grand Prix winner. The Local also won Silver in Short Feature Writing for Danielle Groen’s “The Last 25 Percent.”
- Gilles Gagnier, longtime publisher of Canadian Geographic, is the posthumous winner of this year’s Publisher Grand Prix award. Gilles’ wife, Nancy Kelly, accepted the award on his behalf.
45th Annual National Magazine Awards Show
A special thank you to Vicky Lee for creating this year’s visuals, and to Vesselin Stroumsky for developing our online submissions and judging platforms.
Our deepest gratitude to our roster of dedicated volunteer judges, who spent countless hours carefully evaluating the entries in this year’s competition.