Good news! The application deadline has been extended to September 25, 2017.
If you’ve ever wanted a behind the scenes look at the Canadian magazine and digital publishing industry, here’s your chance! The National Media Awards Foundation (NMAF) is looking for an intern in Toronto, beginning in October 2017 (and yes, the internship is paid!).
As the Administrative Assistant Intern, you’ll be an integral part of the team, participating in everything from proofreading press releases to assisting with the awards judging process. You’ll make connections within the industry, meeting and liaising with some of the best magazine writers, editors, and publishers in Canada.
The contract runs from October 1st, 2017—June 30, 2018, and you’ll be working 10-15 hrs/week on average. Note that the NMAF produces two distinct awards programs – the National Media Awards and the Digital Publishing Awards – and that this paid internship opportunity has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada.
Have we caught your interest? Read on for more information about the position!
Position: Administrative Assistant
Contract Duration: October 1st, 2017—June 30, 2018; 10-15 hrs/week on average.
Description: The successful candidate will be reporting to and working in consultation with the NMAF Communications Manager and Special Projects Manager and specifically will:
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of the NMAF office, including support for the submissions process, judging process, and awards production;
- Handle some of the office-related communications and outreach with the Canadian media industry in both English and French—including but not limited to initiating and responding to phone calls and general email;
- Assist with the research and production of content for the NMAF blogs (magazine-awards.com / prixmagazine.com & digitalpublishing.blog) and other social media channels;
- Proofread communications materials and publications, including newsletters, press releases, website copy, gala programs and related material;
- Assist with ongoing projects to promote the NMAF and its various initiatives;
- Attend staff, board and committee meetings.
- Pursuing or recently completed a degree or diploma in the fields of communications, publishing, administration, public relations, journalism or similar;
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Solid writing and editing skills;
- Ability to work independently and on deadline with goal-oriented projects;
- Career aspirations in the media industry or similar;
- Strong interest in fulfilling the mandate and vision of the National Media Awards Foundation;
- Familiarity with the Canadian magazine and/or digital media industry an asset;
- Bilingualism (French-English) a strong asset.
- Gain practical knowledge of the Canadian media industry;
- Play an important role in the execution of NMAF projects and events;
- Make a great first impression on writers, editors, publishers and other members of the industry;
- Enhance your skill set in communications, publicity, administration, event planning, writing, editing, and non-profit organizations;
- Learn more about Canadian magazine and digital publishers from the NMAF’s wonderful team of staff, board members, and stakeholders;
- Participate in one of Canada’s most important cultural events, the National Media Awards Gala and the Digital Publishing Awards Soirée.
Terms and Remuneration: The length of the contract will be from October 1st, 2017 to June 30, 2018. The average weekly commitment may range from 10 hours per week (Oct-Dec; Feb-Mar; Jun) to 20 hours per week (Jan; Apr-May). Working hours are flexible except at specific times, and most work may be completed remotely.
This internship is paid minimum wage.
Applications: Candidates should submit
- A cover letter (written in French or English) demonstrating their specific interest in the internship;
- A resume;
- At least one letter of reference from a professor or career mentor.
Please send applications by email to NMAF Communications Manager Émilie Pontbriand at email@example.com.
Application deadline: September 25, 2017.
We’re looking forward to hearing from aspiring writers and media professionals who are up for the challenge of working with us to recognize and promote the best of the best in Canadian print and digital content!