The Writers Guild of Alberta is accepting submissions for 2013 Alberta Literary Awards, which celebrate and promote literary achievements by Alberta writers.
Opportunities for magazine writers include the James H. Gray Award for Short Nonfiction and the Howard O’Hagan Award for Short Story writing, each of which accepts submissions of work published in any print or electronic magazine, anthology or literary journal.
Two other categories accept unpublished manuscripts for judging: the Amber Bowerman Memorial Travel Writing Award; and the Jon Whyte Memorial Essay Prize.
Each of the above 4 awards includes a cash prize of $700.
The Alberta Literary Awards program also includes 5 categories for book publishing, each of which carries a cash prize of $1500:
- R. Ross Annett Award for Children’s Literature (picture books)
- Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction
- Wilfrid Eggleston Award for Non-Fiction
- Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama (plays published or produced)
- Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry
The WGA is also administering the following awards for 2013:
- The City of Calgary W.O. Mitchell Book Prize ($5000 prize)
- The Robert Kroetsch City of Edmonton Book Prize ($10,000 prize)
Read up on the submissions guidelines. The deadline for applications is December 31, 2012.
(Hat tip: Alberta Magazine Publishers Association)