Starting next Wednesday, the 12-day literary non-fiction extravaganza known as LitFest opens in Edmonton with a host of events including talks and workshops from National Magazine Award winners. Just a sampling:
- Terry Glavin will be joined by fellow NMA winners Janice Williamson, Noah Richler and Paul Wells, speaking about “Shadows of Afghanistan” at the Stanley A. Milner Theatre on Saturday Oct 20.
- Investigative journalist Andrew Nikiforuk talks about Canada’s energy industry at the St. Albert Public Library on Friday, Oct 26.
- Andrew Westoll and Charlotte Gill share the CBC Centre Stage at City Centre Mall at lunchtime on Oct 25 to read from their recent award-winning books.
- Maclean’s political editor Paul Wells has a talk entitled “Days of Whine and Roses” on Oct 20 at the Stanley A. Milner Library.
- JJ Lee will talk about “The Measure of a Man” at the CLC Brown Bag Reading Series on Oct 24.
- Eighteen Bridges editor Curtis Gillespie headlines an event called “Roaring Twenties,” which combines whisky tasting and literary readings in the spirit of the bootlegging era!