The National Media Awards Foundation (NMAF) is seeking applications for one paid Internship position in Toronto beginning in October 2019. The NMAF produces three distinct awards programs: the National Magazine Awards, the Digital Publishing Awards and the National Magazine Awards: B2B. This paid internship opportunity has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada.
Contract Duration: October 1st, 2019—May 31, 2020; 10-15 hrs/week on average. Except for the staff meetings and handling of hard-copy submissions (January/February), the work is to be completed remotely.
Description: The successful candidate will be reporting to and working in consultation with the NMAF Director, Programs & Communications and the Digital Communications Manager, and specifically will:
- Assist with the NMAF’s day-to-day operations , including administrative support for the submissions process, judging process, and awards production;
- Handle some of the administrative related communications and outreach with the Canadian media industry;
- Assist with the research and production of content for the NMAF websites and other social media channels;
- Proofread communications materials and publications, including newsletters, press releases, website copy, gala programs, and related material;
- Assist with ongoing projects to promote the NMAF and its various initiatives;
- Attend staff meetings.
- Pursuing or recently completed a degree or diploma in the fields of Communications, Publishing, Administration, Public Relations, Journalism, or similar;
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Solid writing and editing skills;
- Ability to work independently and on deadline with goal-oriented projects;
- Career aspirations in the media industry or similar;
- Strong interest in fulfilling the mandate and vision of the National Media Awards Foundation;
- Familiarity with the Canadian magazine and/or digital media industry an asset;
- Experience in podcast production or audio recording an asset;
- Bilingualism (French-English) an asset;
- Comfortable working remotely and/or previous remote work experience.
- Gain practical knowledge of the Canadian media industry;
- Play an important role in the execution of NMAF projects and events;
- Make a great first impression on writers, editors, publishers, and other members of the industry;
- Enhance your skill set in communications, publicity, administration, event planning, writing, editing, and non-profit organizations;
- Learn more about Canadian magazine and digital publishers from the NMAF’s wonderful team of staff, board members, and stakeholders;
- Participate in some of Canada’s most important cultural events, the National Magazine Awards Gala, Digital Publishing Awards Soirée, and the NMA: B2B Luncheon.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the judging process, and learn what makes for an award-winning piece of journalism.
Terms and Remuneration: The length of the contract will be from October 1st, 2019 to May 31st, 2019. The average weekly commitment may range from 10 hours per week (Oct-Dec; Feb-Mar) to 20 hours per week (Jan; Apr-May). Working hours are flexible except at specific times, and most of the work is to be completed remotely.
This internship is paid at the Ontario minimum wage.
Candidates should submit:
- A cover letter demonstrating their specific interest in the internship;
- A resume;
- At least one letter of reference from a professor or career mentor.
The NMAF welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please send applications by email to the NMAF Digital Communications Manager, Leah Edwards, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: September 18, 2019.