Follow our curated collections of past award winners at pinterest.com/magawards
[This post has been updated] Last night at the Courtyard Hotel in downtown Toronto the redesigned Canadian Cover Awards were presented to an audience of Canadian magazine industry professionals. Produced by CMC and Magazines Canada, and sponsored by the Alliance for Audited Media, the reception showcased awards for the most successful Canadian magazine cover in 7 categories:
- Fashion, Shopping & Bridal: ELLE Québec, August 2012 (“Véronique Cloutier“)
- General Interest, Arts, Lifestyle & Regional: Legion Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012 (“The War of 1812“)
- Home & Decor: Style at Home, September 2011 (“Bathroom Style“)
- News, Business & Celebrity: Canadian Business, February 20, 2012 (“Crash: Why House Prices are about to Fall“)
- SIPs and New Magazines: Maclean’s Royal Wedding Special
- Sports & Leisure: SkyNews, May/June 2012 (“Transit of Venus“)
- Women’s Service: Chatelaine, February 2012 (“Comfort Food Makeovers“)
Cottage Life magazine’s circulation coordinator Amanda Beattie hosted the event. The awards competition was open to all Canadian magazine issues distributed on Canadian newsstands in 2011 and 2012 that are now sales final.
Related post: New Canadian Cover Awards now accepting submissions
The finalists for the 2013 Alberta Magazine Awards have been announced by the Alberta Magazine Publishers Association, with awards to be presented in 14 Showcase categories on March 14.
Swerve–the “Calgary inside & out” magazine–leads all publications with 17 nominations.
Also receiving an impressive haul of nominations are Alberta Venture (11), Alberta Oil (10), Eighteen Bridges (10), Alberta Views (6) and Avenue Calgary (6).
The Amber Webb-Bowerman Memorial Foundation Award for Emerging Writer has 4 finalists:
- Raquel Fletcher: Ten Tree Sees the Forest and the Trees (Degrees Magazine)
- Jessica Pia: Dinner with Dad (FreeFall)
- Devon Jolie: History Denied (Profiles West)
- Melissa Molloy: The Accuser and Us (Profiles West)
[This post has been updated] The Western Magazine Awards — a program open to Canadian print and online magazines published west of the Ontario-Manitoba border — are now accepting submissions for their 31st annual awards. Deadline for entries is
March 1, 2013 March 15, 2013.
This year there are 12 written categories (including the new Best New Writer Award) and 6 visual categories, which include a cash prize of $750.
Then there are 4 “Gold” categories for best overall article by region, which include a cash prize of $1000. Finally, there are 8 Magazine of the Year categories and 1 Lifetime Achievement Award.
There have been a few changes made to the Rules this year, so be sure to read carefully before submitting.
The winners will be announced at the annual WMA ceremony on June 21, 2013, at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside. More info at westernmagazineawards.ca.
The winner will receive a $300 prize and publication in the award-winning magazine; two runners up will receive $100 each and publication online.
From the contest creators:
Send us your finest original interpretations of these ancient storytelling traditions! Moral lessons, animals, mythical creatures—you know the deal. You could be the next Aesop!
The entry fee is $25 and includes a subscription to the quarterly magazine of arts, opinion and ideas. Word limit: 1200 words. Deadline
March 31, 2013 April 8, 2013.
More info at maisonneuve.org.